CAMARILLO, Calif., Feb. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq:SMTC), a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, and Lacuna Space announced its collaboration with key industry leaders, including the European Space Agency (ESA) and Parametric GmbH, to extend a LoRaWAN™ network by providing satellite connectivity to fill voids between the terrestrial gateways out of cellular reach and give continuous global coverage.
Lacuna Space uses a constellation of polar low-earth orbiting satellites to receive messages from sensors integrated with Semtech’s LoRa® devices and wireless radio frequency technology (LoRa Technology) on the ground. At about 500km above the ground, the satellites circle over the poles of the earth every 100 minutes and as the earth revolves below them, the satellites cover the globe. The signals use a long range wide area network protocol, LoRaWAN, which is specifically designed to conserve battery power. The satellites store the messages for a short period of time until they pass over the network of ground stations. Data is relayed to an application on a terrestrial network or be viewed on a web based application. This is ideal for any Internet of Things (IoT) devices that need broader, continuous coverage including asset tracking and monitoring livestock.
“There are endless possibilities for things that sensors can measure and the limit literally is your imagination,” said Rob Spurrett, CEO at Lacuna Space. “Semtech’s LoRa Technology and the LoRaWAN open protocol allow for extended range and reach where other networks are unable to cover to develop unknown, unique use cases. Our satellite demonstration has filled the void in rural regions and oceans where there is a lack of traditional network coverage.”
“Semtech works closely with technology partners to enable an infinite amount of IoT use cases,” said Vivek Mohan, Director, Wireless and Sensing Products Group at Semtech. “With Lacuna extending the LoRaWAN network into space, more users will develop global solutions for assets that need long range and low power capabilities to build a smarter planet.”
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Power: Enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 10 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: The LoRaWAN open protocol, provided by the LoRa Alliance™, ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- Learn how LoRa Technology enables IoT, visit Semtech’s LoRa site.
- Engage with the LoRa Community, a platform for thousands of IoT and M2M technologists, developers, end users, and solution providers, to access exclusive content.
- Enter your products in the LoRa Catalog to showcase your IoT solution.
- Join the LoRa Alliance, one of the fastest growing Internet of Things (IoT) alliances with over 500 members.
- Contact Semtech’s support team for technical support or general product inquiries.
- Follow Semtech on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, and Google+.
About Lacuna Space
Lacuna Space, located in the United Kingdom, provides low-cost, simple and reliable global connections to sensors and mobile equipment. The Lacuna network is an ultra-low cost tracking and detection service for short data messages that is ubiquitous. The network works everywhere, and all the time, so companies can focus on using data from sensors or tracking the status of moving assets. For more information, visit www.lacuna.space.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications, and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The Company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words ‘allow for,” “will,” “designed to,” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors.” Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
Semtech, the Semtech logo and LoRa are registered trademarks or service marks, and LoRaWAN is a trademark or service mark, of Semtech Corporation or its affiliates.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at:
The photo is also available at Newscom, www.newscom.com, and via AP PhotoExpress.