SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 06, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Prey Software, provider of the cross-platform, open source anti-theft software that protects more than eight million mobile devices, today announced that 23 new education institutions have licensed Prey Anti-Theft to protect more than 7800 mobile devices over the past year. A cost-effective way to track and find stolen devices, Prey Anti-Theft is used by more than 154 academic organizations worldwide. Prey also launched Beta support for Chromebooks, with protection for all 54 Chromebooks that support apps from the Google Play™ store.
Mobile devices are proliferating in both public school systems and on college campuses, and all indications are that those numbers will continue to rise. Of those devices, the low-cost Chromebook, with its open source Google Chrome OS™ running the Google Cloud-based application suite, is becoming ubiquitous in schools. With the addition of compatibility for 20 more Chromebooks this year, Prey Anti-Theft software can be downloaded to protect all Chromebooks with support for the Google Play platform.
Prey Anti-Theft is ideal for education because its open source platform ensures that the product’s price tag is in line with budgets, with simple means to establish policies that prevent the loss or theft of mobile computing devices. Prey’s multi-device management capabilities enable school IT departments to track and control fleets big and small–from 30 devices in a single computer lab, to complex school district fleets. Students can also protect their phones and additional personal devices with the free consumer version of Prey.
Prey Anti-Theft also benefits schools with:
- Geofencing and File Retrieval Capabilities – help secure devices before they can be lost or stolen, while advanced search, labeling, and mass action tools enable organizations to track and control in environments with 30 or more devices.
- Multi-device Management – Prey’s new mass management capabilities streamline oversight of the mobile environment with:
- Mass Actions Controls – Trigger messages or alarms on thousands of devices to alert users to actions, such as returning laptops at the end of a test, or turning in a device at the end of a shift.
- Advanced Search and Labels – Organize entire fleets of mobile devices with a versatile search engine and customizable tags that make it simple to manage groups within universities, hospitals, enterprise and government.
- Anti-theft Prevention – With the ability to monitor and protect devices and prevent them from ever being lost or stolen in the first place, Prey offers:
- Control Zones – Leveraging geofencing technology, Prey creates GPS-secured zones within a building, campus or city. Real-time notifications alert managers whenever a device leaves or enters an area for full control over the whereabouts of an entire fleet of devices. By monitoring devices proactively, Prey frees up resources to perform other tasks.
- Remote File Retrieval & Wipe – Enables the retrieval and/or deletion of sensitive information via email with a download link of data once a lost or stolen device comes online.
“We are seeing an increasing demand from schools for our affordable, flexible and platform agnostic security solution for mobile devices,” said Carlos Yaconi, co-founder and CEO at Prey Software. “What might have been a ‘nice to have’ a year ago is now a ‘must have’ for these school IT administrators.”
New Prey Education customers include:
Aspira Inc of Illinois, Boost Collaborative, Broken Arrow Public Schools, Carol Morgan School, Coolum Beach Christian College, Euroweb Internet GmbH, Front Range Community College, Hobart & William Smith Colleges, International School of Moscow, Lakeshore Technical College, Loyola High School, Methodist College, Oxford School District, Redding School of the Arts, Sandusky City Schools, Seton Hill University, Six Nations Polytechnic, St. Vincent High School, The Governor Morehead School for the Blind, Trinity Episcopal School, United Nations University, Wahoo Public Schools, Wesleyan University.
Pricing & Availability
Prey Software offers a 30 percent discount to educational organizations. Pricing for Prey for Education is based on the number of devices. It begins at .70 cents per device, all features included, for low-scale deployments; as the number of devices increases, the per-device price continues to go down.
Available for all major platforms: iOS, Android, Linux, Ubuntu, Windows and MacOS.
Read about the Prey Chromebook Beta Launch, including a list of the 54 Chromebooks that Prey Anti-Theft can protect: https://www.preyproject.com/en/blog/device-diversity-now-chromebook-ready
Learn how the Carol Morgan School is taking full advantage of Prey Anti-Theft to manage its fleet of mobile devices:
About Prey Software
Prey Software is the only provider of anti-theft solutions for tracking and protecting mobile devices that can manage and secure all of an organization’s mobile devices from the same place. Installed on more than 8 million devices worldwide, Prey’s cross-platform, open source security solution consolidates mobile device management on a single account, no matter how many different device manufacturers or operating system need to be tracked. Find out more at www.preyproject.com.