The Paley International Council Summit Returned to Europe; Frank A. Bennack, Jr., Officially Opened the 23rd Annual Paley International Council Summit
New York, NY, Dec. 04, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — NEW YORK, NY, December 4, 2018 – The Paley Center for Media held its 23rd Paley International Council Summit in London on November 30, marking the Summit’s return to Europe.
For more than twenty years the Paley International Council Summit has brought together world dignitaries and CEOs from today’s top media and technology companies to advance the exchange of ideas and foster a sense of community. This year’s theme Rethinking the Game: Moving Media Forward in 2019 and Beyond, tackled the most vital issues facing today’s media landscape, featuring the most significant leaders in media, government, and technology.
“We were honored to return to London for very timely and informative conversations on the issues facing the global media landscape,” said Frank A. Bennack, Jr., Chairman of The Paley Center for Media and Executive Vice Chairman of Hearst. “The Paley International Council Summit is unique in providing a neutral platform to open discussions at the highest level in times of transformation, disruption, and opportunity, with leaders who have shaped the industry and its future.”
“This year’s Paley International Council Summit not only addressed the pressing issues facing the media industry, but also explored the global issues facing all organizations including safeguarding national and cyber security, maintaining trust and transparency, and developing brands that align with the core values of today’s consumers,” said Maureen J. Reidy, the Paley Center’s President & CEO. “We are pleased to have convened this distinguished group of leaders during such an exciting and transformative time in media.”
The many distinguished speakers that presented included Robert M. Gates, former United States Secretary of Defense, who delivered the opening keynote interview with Frank A. Bennack, Jr. about the political landscape covering global affairs, policy and perspective.
Rt Hon Jeremy Wright MP, Secretary of State for the UK Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport presented Maintaining a Healthy Media Sector in the Digital Age. “The Paley Center for Media has done so much to set the agenda for developments in US and international media, and continues to support the growth of creative industries on both sides of the Atlantic,” said Wright. “Over decades and centuries, our nations have joined forces to address some of the world’s biggest challenges and to smash creative boundaries. We are facing new challenges, that threaten the nature of liberal democracies and the civil society that underpins any healthy community. High quality media and broadcasting remain some of our strongest defenses against these dark forces.”
Featured discussions included:
- Political Landscape: Global Affairs, Policy, and Perspective: Robert Gates in a Dialogue with Paley Chair Frank A. Bennack, Jr. with Robert M. Gates, 22nd Secretary of Defense of the United States; Principal, RiceHadleyGates LLC and Frank A. Bennack, Jr., Executive Vice Chairman, Hearst; Chairman, The Paley Center for Media
- The Future of Advertising with Mark Read, CEO, WPP and Michael Kassan, Chairman & CEO, MediaLink
- Building a Global Brand on a Commitment to Community: A Conversation with Faiza J. Saeed & Howard Schultz with Faiza J. Saeed, Presiding Partner, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP and Howard Schultz, Chairman Emeritus, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Snapchat: Reimagining Communications and Content on Mobile: A Conversation with Evan Spiegel with Evan Spiegel, Cofounder & CEO, Snap Inc. and Thorold Barker, Wall Street Journal Europe, Middle East, and Africa
- A View from the Top: Navigating New Terrain in Mass Media Today: A Conversation with Arnaud de Puyfontaine with Arnaud de Puyfontaine, President & CEO, Vivendi and Adam Bird, Senior Partner, McKinsey & Company
- Maintaining a Healthy Media Sector in the Digital Age with Rt Hon Jeremy Wright MP, Secretary of State for the UK Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- The Case for Trust & Transparency with Megan Clarken, Global President of Watch, Nielsen
- Cybersecurity & Mitigating Risk: Protecting Your Privacy, Content, Clients, and Users with Robert Hannigan, European Executive Chairman, BlueVoyant Cyber Security; Sir Julian King, Commissioner for the Security Union, European Commission; Jim Richberg, National Intelligence Manager for Cyber, U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence; Sir John Sawers, Chairman & Partner, Macro Advisory Partners; and Matthew Gould, Director General for Digital and Media Policy, UK Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- From Studios to Stadiums: Where Business Models of the Past Meet Technology of the Future: A Conversation with Aryeh B. Bourkoff & Strauss Zelnick, with Aryeh B. Bourkoff, Founder & CEO, LionTree and Strauss Zelnick, Chairman & CEO, Take-Two Interactive Software
- Blockchain & Cryptocurrency: Modern Solutions to Age-Old Problems with Zeeshan Feroz, UK, CEO, Coinbase; Jason Kelley, General Manager, Blockchain Services, IBM Global Business Services; Amber Nystrom, Cofounder, 5th Element Group PBC; Brock Pierce, Chairman, Bitcoin Foundation; and Cristiana Falcone, CEO, JMCMRJ Sorrell Foundation
- Aligning Your Brand in a Cause-Driven World with Marc Mathieu, Chief Marketing Officer, Samsung Electronics America; Roxane Philson, Chief Marketing Officer, ONE; Raja Rajamannar, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer and President for Healthcare, Mastercard; Dara Treseder, former Chief Marketing Officer, GE Business Innovations and GE Ventures; and Joe Marchese, President, Advertising Revenue, Fox Networks Group
- Silicon Europe: A New Tech and Entrepreneurship Generation with Pascal Cagni, France’s Ambassador for International Investment & Chairman of Business France and Nate Lanxon, Technology Editor, Bloomberg News
- Telecom in the Modern Media Landscape with Dexter Goei, CEO, Altice USA; Ben Verwaayen, General Partner, Keen Venture Partners; and Jonathan Miller, CEO, Integrated Media Company
- State of News 2018: Polarization, Propaganda, and Partisanship with Jamie Angus, Director, BBC World Service Group; Thorold Barker, Editor, Wall Street Journal Europe, Middle East, and Africa; Thomas Evans, Vice President, EMEA Newsgathering & London Bureau Chief, CNN; James Harding, Cofounder & Editor, Tortoise Media; and Stewart Purvis, Board Director, Channel Four, UK
The Paley International Council Summit 2018 is sponsored by: Hearst; McKinsey & Company, the Official Knowledge Partner; Nielsen; and Xandr; with additional support by Virgin Atlantic Airways and Delta Air Lines.
For more about the 2018 Paley International Council Summit please visit paley.me/summit2018.
Media Contact: Teresa Brady, The Paley Center for Media, 212-621-6697, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #
About the Paley International Council Summit
The Annual Summit brings together global leaders and CEOs of the world’s most important media companies to advance the exchange of ideas and to foster a sense of community. The Summit was first held in 1995 in Italy, and, over the years, has been held in China, South Africa, Germany, Austria, India, Monaco, Spain, France, Turkey, Mexico, the United Kingdom, as well as the United States.
About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public. Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, an international collection, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Center’s permanent media collection, which contains over 160,000 television and radio programs and advertisements, and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media. Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape. Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org
Hearst is a leading global, diversified media, information and services company with more than 360 businesses. Its major interests include ownership in cable television networks such as A&E, HISTORY, Lifetime and ESPN; global financial services leader Fitch Group; Hearst Health, a group of medical information and services businesses; transportation assets including CAMP Systems International, a major provider of software-as-a-service solutions for managing maintenance of jets and helicopters; 31 television stations such as WCVB-TV in Boston and KCRA-TV in Sacramento, Calif., which reach a combined 19 percent of U.S. viewers; newspapers such as the Houston Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle and Albany Times Union, more than 300 magazines around the world including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Men’s Health and Car and Driver; digital services businesses such as iCrossing and KUBRA; and investments in emerging digital entertainment companies such as Complex Networks. For more information, visit hearst.com or follow us on Twitter @HearstLive and @Hearst.
About McKinsey & Company
McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm, deeply committed to helping institutions in the private, public, and social sectors achieve lasting success. For more than 90 years, our primary objective has been to serve as our clients’ most trusted external advisor. With consultants in 129 cities in 65 countries, across industries and functions, we bring unparalleled expertise to clients anywhere in the world. We work closely with teams at all levels of an organization to shape winning strategies, mobilize for change, build capabilities, and drive successful execution. For more information, visit mckinsey.com
Nielsen Holdings plc is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Our approach marries proprietary Nielsen data with other data sources to help clients around the world understand what’s happening now, what’s happening next, and how to best act on this knowledge. For more than 90 years Nielsen has provided data and analytics based on scientific rigor and innovation, continually developing new ways to answer the most important questions facing the media, advertising, retail and fast-moving consumer goods industries. An S&P 500 company, Nielsen has operations in over 100 countries, covering more than 90% of the world’s population. For more information, visit nielsen.com or follow us on Twitter and Facebook @Nielsen.
Xandr is creating a better solution for advertisers and publishers to find and reach specific audiences at scale in trusted, premium content environments. As a current leader in advanced TV advertising, we help advertisers deliver the right message, at the right time, on almost any device through our AppNexus technology. We are rooted in a tradition of responsible data usage. For more than 140 years, AT&T has used data and technology to inform and improve the customer experience. For more information, visit xandr.com
CONTACT: Teresa Brady The Paley Center for Media 212.621.6697 TBrady@paleycenter.org