Social impression volume increased year-over-year for the first time in four quarters; mobile shopping ad impressions surged in paid search in Q2 2018
San Francisco, July 19, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Kenshoo (www.Kenshoo.com), a global leader in marketing technology, today released a new infographic, Kenshoo Digital Marketing Quarterly Trends Report: Q2 2018, detailing spending growth in social (40%) and paid search (10%) year-over-year (YoY) in Q2 2018. Key findings include:
- Social spending increased 40% YoY and decreased 1% quarter-over-quarter (QoQ)
- Social impressions increased 15% YoY and decreased 10% QoQ
- Social clicks increased 94% YoY and decreased 13% QoQ
- Social click-through rate (CTR) increased 69% YoY and decreased 3% QoQ
- Social cost-per-thousand (CPM) impressions increased 21% YoY and 8% QoQ
- Paid search spending increased 10% YoY and 4% QoQ
- Paid search impressions increased 20% YoY and 6% QoQ
- Paid search clicks increased 24% YoY
- Paid search CTR increased 4% YoY
- Facebook’s inventory refinements — including the removal of right-rail ads — caused three quarters of consecutive decline in impression volume; nearly a year later, impression volume increased YoY for the first time (+15%).
- Instagram spending doubled YoY with Instagram Stories accounting for 11% of spend on Instagram ads.
- Video ads contributed to the QoQ increase in CPM, while Carousel ads were a primary driver of the uptick in CTR.
- Mobile accounted for the plurality of spending, accounting for 48% of search spending, while desktop accounted for 44% and tablet 8%.
- Rapid adoption of inexpensive mobile shopping ads depressed cost-per-click (CPC) for advertisers (-12% YoY).
“Social advertising continues to evolve and it’s changing the way many advertisers use it to reach consumers. Event-driven video campaigns, for example, now extend beyond traditional verticals of gaming and entertainment, reaching into e-commerce and even finance, while more specialized ad types capture the resulting demand,” said Chris Costello, senior director of marketing research for Kenshoo. “Meanwhile, search marketers have fully embraced consumers’ adoption of mobile devices, shifting spend to mobile campaigns to ensure they’re present across the full funnel of consumer search activity. For the first time, spending on mobile search ads surpassed desktop and is near capturing the majority of ad spending.”
Kenshoo leads the way in digital marketing innovation, enabling success for marketers by maximizing customer lifetime value. Built upon Kenshoo’s industry-leading and award-winning digital marketing platform, Kenshoo delivers infinite optimization to re-engage and grow customers across the world’s leading publishers and all devices.
Visit Kenshoo.com/digital-marketing-snapshot to download the new infographic, Kenshoo Digital Marketing Quarterly Trends Report: Q2 2018.
Search and social results are based on Kenshoo advertisers with 15 consecutive months of performance data taken from a population of over 3,000 advertiser and agency accounts across 20 vertical industries and over 60 countries, spanning Google, Bing, Baidu, Yandex, Yahoo!, Yahoo! Japan, Pinterest, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and the Facebook® Audience Network. Some outliers have been excluded. The resulting sample includes more than 500 billion impressions, 14 billion clicks and $6 billion (USD) in advertiser spend.
Ad spending and CPC are measured using Ex-FX or “Constant Currency” adjustments, where results are based on native currency, and only translated to common currency after aggregation.
Kenshoo is a technology company that equips marketers with self-service applications to build their brands and generate demand by executing digital advertising across the world’s leading mobile and desktop publishers. Kenshoo offers the only marketing solution that is deeply integrated across Google, Facebook, Bing, Pinterest, Snapchat, Instagram, Yahoo, Yandex, Yahoo Japan, and Baidu through each publisher’s native APIs. Kenshoo’s solutions are architected upon the principles of agile marketing which include audience targeting, optimization algorithms, automation controls, and actionable analytics to allow marketers to quickly and efficiently keep their marketing programs in-step with the ever-changing consumer journey. Kenshoo has 27 international locations and is backed by Sequoia Capital, Arts Alliance, Tenaya Capital, and Bain Capital Ventures. Please visit Kenshoo.com for more information.
Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.
Kenshoo brand and product names are trademarks of Kenshoo Ltd. Other company and brand names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
CONTACT: Kraig Smith Kenshoo 1-312-432-9405 firstname.lastname@example.org