SMITHFIELD, Va., May 18, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Smithfield is proud to announce its yearlong partnership with award-winning chefs from across the country who will develop mouthwatering recipes featuring Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork, an all-natural premium line of hand-trimmed fresh pork. Each recipe will showcase the superior quality and versatility of the Smithfield Prime collection and inspire consumers to cook with only the best ingredients at home. This carefully selected group of “pork-centric” chefs includes James Beard Foundation award winners and nominees, renowned restaurateurs, and cooking competition show finalists, who will bring their own style and personal touch to each unique recipe. The acclaimed chefs include: Seamus Mullen (New York), Jose Garces (Philadelphia), Colby Garrelts (Kansas City, Mo.), Jose Mendin (Miami), John Tesar (Dallas), Michael & David Cordúa (Houston), Seth Adams (Park City, Utah), Paul Virant (Chicago), and Tuffy Stone (Richmond, Va.).
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/2e74eb2d-78d7-454c-a8d4-fe65e8a1b32e
Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork is a line of premium, all-natural fresh pork that is certifiably 20 percent more tender than other leading brands of all-natural pork. The Smithfield Prime collection is hand-trimmed and sourced from America’s most trusted farms, using a specialty breed of Duroc hogs and some of the most stringent quality standards in the industry. Thus, Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork products naturally have exceptional color, increased marbling, and enhanced flavor, creating an elevated eating experience.
“Award-winning chefs understand the importance of cooking with high quality ingredients, especially when it comes to protein,” said Dedra Berg, senior director of fresh pork marketing for Smithfield Foods. “We are thrilled to partner with some of the best chefs in the country to inspire at-home cooks to create a premium meal experience using Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork. Not all pork is created equal, and Smithfield Prime is the best fresh pork to cook with because it is naturally tender and juicy.”
Smithfield Prime 2017 Chef Partners:
- Seamus Mullen (New York, NY): Owner and head chef of Tertulia and El Colmado. Mullen is a three-time James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: New York City” nominee, finalist on Food Network’s “The Next Iron Chef,” and James Beard Foundation “Best New Restaurant” finalist for Tertulia.
- Jose Garces (Philadelphia, PA): Garces operates more than 15 restaurants across the country, including Amada, Distrito, Tinto, Village Whiskey, Garces Trading Company, JG Domestic, Volvér, Rural Society, The Olde Bar, Buena Onda, 24 Wood Fired Fare, Olón, Okatshe, and Ortzi, as well as Bayamo and Pincho Tapas Bar on board Norwegian Cruise Line’s Escape. Garces was the 2009 recipient of the James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic” award, as well as the winner of Food Network’s “The Next Iron Chef” in 2009.
- Colby Garrelts (Kansas City, MO): Chef and co-owner of Bluestem and rye with his wife, Pastry Chef Megan Garrelts. Garrelts was the 2013 recipient of the James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: Midwest” award and was named one of the “Top 10 Best New Chefs” by Food & Wine in 2005. His restaurant Bluestem was also a semifinalist for the 2017 James Beard Foundation “Outstanding Restaurant” award.
- Jose Mendin (Miami, FL): Founding partner and chef of Pubbelly Restaurant Group who oversees the culinary vision of Pubbelly Noodlebar (Miami Beach); Pubbelly Sushi (Miami Beach, Brickell City Centre, American Airlines Arena, Casa de Campo); Food Republic (aboard Norwegian Cruise Line’s Escape) and Pawn Broker (Miami). Mendin recently opened Pubbelly Ysla (Puerto Rico) and Pubbelly Sushi Market (Aventura), and is also opening a Pubbelly Sushi location in Dadeland later this year. Mendin is a five-time James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: South” award nominee and was also nominated for the Food & Wine “Best Chef” award in 2014.
- John Tesar (Dallas, TX): Owner and executive chef of Knife at the Highland Dallas hotel. Tesar appeared on seasons 10 and 14 of Bravo’s “Top Chef.” He is a four-time James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: Southwest” semifinalist and is also set to open Knife Burger and Knife Plano later this year. His first book, “Knife: Texas Steakhouse Meals at Home,” was published in May 2017.
- Michael & David Cordúa (Houston, TX): The father and son duo are chefs and founding partners of Cordúa Restaurants, whose brands include Churrascos, Americas, Artista, Amazon Grill, and Cordúa Catering. Michael Cordúa is a three-time James Beard “Best Chef: Southwest” semifinalist, was previously named by Food & Wine as one of the “Top Ten Chefs” in America, and was inducted into the prestigious Food & Wine Hall of Fame in 2008. Trained at Le Cordon Bleu Paris, David Cordúa was named “Up & Coming Chef of the Year” by the Houston Culinary Awards, “40 Under 40” by the Houston Business Journal and “Houston Truffle Chef of the Year” by Les Dames d’Escoffier since becoming Executive Chef of Cordúa Restaurants in 2009.
- Seth Adams (Park City, UT): Executive chef and co-owner of Riverhorse on Main. Riverhorse on Main has been awarded the AAA Four-Diamond Award, DiRoNA Award, and Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Rating. Adams has also served as the annual host for the James Beard Foundation “Celebrity Chef Tour.”
- Paul Virant (Chicago, IL): Chef and owner of Vie and Vistro. Virant is a four-time James Beard Foundation “Best Chef: Great Lakes” finalist, and was named “Best New Chef” by Food & Wine in 2007 and “Best New Chef” by Chicago Magazine in 2005. He also received the 2007 Jean Banchet Award for Culinary Excellence as “Top Celebrity Chef” and has competed on Food Network’s “Iron Chef America.” His flagship restaurant, Vie, earned a Michelin star in 2011.
- Tuffy Stone (Richmond, VA): Stone is a classically-trained French chef, accomplished pitmaster, and the owner of Q Barbecue restaurants and A Sharper Palate Catering. His professional barbecue team “Cool Smoke” has earned Grand Champion titles in nearly every major competition, including back-to-back wins at the American Royal World Series of Barbecue®, a win at the 2015 Kingsford Invitational, and in 2016, became the first team to win the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational three times. Stone served as judge and host on Destination America’s “BBQ Pitmasters” for six seasons, and was also the esteemed host of the James Beard Foundation Sizzling Summertime Barbecue event at The Beard House in 2016.
To learn more about the award-winning chefs, the Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork line of products, and to view the chefs’ original recipes, visit www.Smithfield.com/PrimeChefs.
A leading provider of high-quality pork products, Smithfield was founded in 1936 in Smithfield, Virginia, establishing the town as the “Ham Capital of the World.” From hand-trimmed bacon and slow-smoked holiday hams to marinated tenderloins, Smithfield brings artistry, authenticity and a commitment to heritage, flavor, and handcrafted excellence to everything it produces. With a vast product portfolio including smoked meats, hams, bacon, sausage, ribs, and a wide variety of fresh pork cuts, the company services retail, foodservice, and deli channels across the United States and 30 countries abroad. All of Smithfield’s products meet the highest quality and safety standards in the industry. To learn more about how Flavor Hails from Smithfield, please visit www.Smithfield.com, www.Twitter.com/SmithfieldBrand, and www.Facebook.com/CookingWithSmithfield. Smithfield is a brand of Smithfield Foods.
About Smithfield Foods
Smithfield Foods is a $14 billion global food company and the world’s largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Kretschmar®, Gwaltney®, Curly’s®, Margherita®, Carando®, Healthy Ones®, Krakus®, Morliny®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Hunter PR for Smithfield Morgan Calef firstname.lastname@example.org (212) 679-6600