KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 11, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Tennessee’s largest annual chicken wing festival – the Big Kahuna Wing Festival presented by US Foods – took place on Saturday, June 11th from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at World’s Fair Park in downtown Knoxville, as more than 40 teams competed to become the Big Kahuna of Wings and Tennessee State Champion.
In its fourth year, the Big Kahuna Wing Festival continues to grow in popularity across East Tennessee and the surrounding region, and drew a crowd of more than 8,000 attendees in 2016.
Statistics from this year’s Festival include:
- 2016 Total Donations totaling over $70,000!
- Donations since Inaugural event in 2013 totaling over $160,000
- Over 100,000 wings consumed
- Tickets Sold Out at 3:00 p.m.
- Wing-eating competition champion consumed 30 wings in two minutes
- 2016 Winner and Big Kahuna State Champion – Big Orange Tailgating
- 2016 Exotic Flavor Champion – Fluster Clucks
- 2016 People’s Choice Winner – Free Beer
- 2016 Big Kahuna Picks (most money raised) – Big Orange Tailgating
- Live music by Uncle Funky & Zero Cash, Brian Clay, Crawlspace with special guest Harmonica Howl, and Drivin N’ Cryin
- SAVE THE DATE – 5th Annual Big Kahuna Wing Festival – JUNE 17, 2017!
Entry allowed patrons to sample wings from every team, in addition to the festivities, with proceeds from the event going directly to benefit The Empty Stocking Fund, Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee and The Butterfly Fund of East Tennessee Foundation. There was also a silent auction with proceeds benefiting the Big Heads Big Hearts Foundation.
VIP tickets were available for $150 each and included early entry to the event, unlimited access to all wing vendors, exclusive access to the expanded VIP area adjacent to the performance stage, complimentary food from Calhoun’s and steaks from Certified Angus Beef, unlimited beverages (including alcohol and craft beer garden) and private bathrooms.
To learn more about the Big Kahuna Wing Festival or to be a part of the 2017 event, visit www.BKWFestival.com or call Matt Beeler at 865-466-8365.
The Big Kahuna Wing Festival was created by Matt Beeler, the entrepreneur of all things wings. Matt is a ten year veteran of the restaurant, foodservice, grocery industry, and founder of The Big Kahuna family that incorporates BKW Seasonings, Big Kahuna Wings Bar and Grill, and the Big Kahuna Wing Festival. Matt’s most recent development is Big Lyfe, LLC., the franchising company for the Big Kahuna Wings restaurant concept. For more information, please go to BeTheBigKahuna.com.
CONTACT: Contact: Matt Beeler Founder, Big Kahuna Wing Festival 865-466-8365